Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day


Valentine's-Hallmark style would tell us this day is about spending money on loved ones and wining and dining the day away. In contrast, our Valentine's Day started out with Simon waking us at 6:15- so much for sleeping in on a Saturday! We didn't eat breakfast in bed but still enjoyed our crepes with whipped cream, bananas, nutella and strawberries.

The highlight of my day came next when I went shopping all by myself and realized I haven't left the house without Simon in tow for a month- it was wonderful to be on my own! I got some more maternity clothes at Arc Thrift and was happy to find a pair of jeans that aren't maternity but still fit me. I also splurged on two club chairs for $18 that I'll reupholster and will hopefully go in our new house.... one day soon.

Our afternoon entertainment combined grocery shopping and loading up on free samples at CostCo. Tacky, but fun AND I crossed a bunch off my grocery list! Score!

Lastly, our Valentine's meal this evening was not the romantic candle lit dining I'd hoped for, but was kid friendly Baked Ziti , with Perry doing the dishes afterwards. Now, while Perry is putting Simon to bed, I'm reflecting on how our lives have changed with the addition of a family and I feel such gratitude for so many blessings. The hallmark Valentine's focus has certainly shifted from amorous hearts/chocolates/gifts to seeing gifts in the little things- Simon's sweet voice waking us up and saying "Mommy, Daddy, all done sleeping", a much needed break where I could shop undisturbed, a somewhat calm meal where Simon ate his ziti without too much drama and an awesome husband who pitches in around the house. More importantly I feel such gratitude for a family to love and grow with. In my book that includes immediate family, extended family and friends!

So on this day, I'm so thankful for all my friends and family who have surrounded us during the last years. You've been there through the ups and downs- though it sounds so cliche, it's true! On this day and all others, I'm thankful for your friendship in our lives and we love ya lots! Happy Valentine's day to you!

2 comments:

Marika said...

Awww... sounds like a great day! I'm so glad you got the comments on the blog working. And I love the house! I hope everything works out. Let us know if you need help moving. A pregnant lady shouldn't be lifting anything heavy. :)

cindy said...

did you get the house? When will you move?