Friday, June 15, 2007

Four Generations


While we were in Virginia, the Shank family got together for a scrumptious meal at Red Lobster. A Sunday lunch outing was a tradition for my family at least once every month or so, and it would usually be Red Lobster because it was a favorite of my Grandfather Sam's. Since Grandaddy's passing last year, I had not been to Red Lobster with the family.It was nice to have the familiar setting for good food and company.
One of the pictures from my childhood that stands out the most doesn't even have me in it. It was a picture taken of Karin, my sister, when she was a baby with our great grandparents. I don't know if there was a picture of me too, but I imagine that there wasn't the opportunity before they passed away.
We were very fortunate that my grandmother, Katherine, joined us for lunch. She has been living in an assisted living home since last year and seems to be doing OK with the adjustment. It must be really hard to move from a house on a hilltop with trees, cows and geese to look at, to a small one bedroom apartment where your neighbors share a wall with you.
In her arms, Simon looked huge! We were able to snap a few pictures of four gennerations before our food came on Sunday. It's a picture of me, my dad, Great Grandmother Katherine, and Simon.

No comments: