Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our Family of Four

I thought I'd take advantage of a free moment and try to update you all as to what's happening with Lukas. He's what they call a "grower" and has no issues except that he's too "immature" to bottle feed for every meal- which is 8 times a day. For the past two days though he has been able to finish the whole bottle 6 out of 8 feedings, so he's getting better at it. I just wish they would let me take bring him home b/c I sometimes feel that the nurses are too busy and gavage him (use the tube to put the milk into his tummy) instead of taking the time to bottle feed him.

He's also gaining weight well and is 5 lbs. 14 oz.- so he'll easily be 6 lbs when he finally comes home.....maybe this weekend.... I can only hope! Although I'll be exhausted in a different way, when he comes home, it sure will simplify my life in terms of not having to line up childcare for Simon and I won't have to be leaving the house to get to the hospital- navigating through rush hour traffic. All this is taking it's toll on me. Luckily, friends from MOPS are helping with food and childcare- a huge help since Perry has class 3 nights a week and is stressed with finals right now.

Crazy times for sure! We've got the strength to take it one day at a time right now, but also know that we'll be ready for June 10 when Perry is finished with his DU spring quarter and his school year. Then we can have some much needed family time! YEAH!

All in all though, we feel so fortunate for how everything has worked out, despite Lukas' early arrival. He's a real trooper and is strong and healthy- thank God. Also- my mom was a lifesaver and got on the train as soon as Lukas was born and was able to help with Simon for two weeks. It was wonderful to not have to worry about him at all AND know that my mom was taking charge of the house as she finished up some projects I hadn't been able to get to! Thanks again, Mom! Words cannot express our gratitude for all your love and work!

No comments: